SunTrust Banks Associate AFES Commercial Associate PM in Atlanta, Georgia
Req ID: W453808
Acquisition Finance, Execution & Structuring, supporting the SunTrust Commercial Banking practice, focused on small to middle market corporate and financial sponsor clients across various regions in the U.S. These clients are users of traditional banking services and debt financing from SunTrust Bank, as well as various investment banking products & services from SunTrust Robinson Humphrey. The successful candidate is experienced in reviewing and assessing appropriate loan structures and financial leverage parameters, understanding & negotiating loan agreement terms and covenants, and monitoring a client’s financial performance on an ongoing basis. This monitoring includes continuous evaluation of a client’s credit risk based on their performance relative to budgets and historical periods, as well as ongoing compliance with financial and non-financial covenants and reporting requirements of the loan’s legal documentation. The Portfolio Manager (“PM”) position is the primary credit product manager and day-to-day credit-related contact for Commercial Banking customers and transactions. Specific responsibilities include:
- Actively manage a diversified portfolio of multiple credit positions across the Commercial Bank, comprised primarily of highly-leveraged loans used to support acquisitions and other strategic initiatives of the borrower and/or financial sponsor client
- Work closely with the Client Relationship Manager to focus on profitability through effective use of the Bank’s capital, maintaining an appropriate risk/return balance via pricing decisions, mix of credit products and recommendations for changes in capital exposure
- Ongoing monitoring of the financial performance of the companies in the portfolio, including regular dialogue with the client or financial sponsor, analyzing financial trends, performing extensive financial modeling analyses including cash flow forecasts, and developing sensitivity analysis of projected performance relative to management’s projections and financial covenants; prepare and present periodic (monthly, quarterly, and annual) reviews of these credits to senior members of the Risk and Portfolio Management teams, including an assessment of the current and expected financial performance, covenant compliance, risk rating, and liquidity of the credit
- Closely interact and communicate with financial sponsors and clients at the C-suite level, and coordinate with the SunTrust Client Coverage and Credit Risk teams to assess periodic loan amendment requests and covenant waivers, balancing the client’s and/or sponsor’s requests with the Bank’s risk tolerance parameters
- Identify and proactively manage any deteriorating credits, including periodic reassessment of internal client risk ratings and justification for any recommended changes of ratings Qualifications
Associate - The ideal candidate has 3-5 years of relevant leveraged lending and credit diligence & structuring experience, including at least 2 years of experience in a credit portfolio management role. The candidate has a strong foundation in accounting, corporate finance, financial modeling, legal documentation, and credit policy with an observable track record of successful portfolio monitoring and management. This person is a team player that works well with multiple constituents across the SunTrust Bank and SunTrust Robinson Humphrey platforms. This role may require some flexibility with regard to hours and travel.
- Core skills & competencies include:
- Deep knowledge and experience in accounting, financial analysis and forecasting
- Independence and objectivity, with the courage and experience to successfully promote and defend credit decisions and positions in verbal and written communications
- Strong attention to detail, while maintaining a holistic approach to investment analysis
Completion of a major corporate or commercial credit training program or the equivalent banking/finance experience Education, certifications & licenses:
An undergraduate degree is required; Bachelor of Science in Business (or related field) is preferred
- A Masters of Business Administration (MBA) or CFA Charterholder, or FINRA Series 7/63 license is preferred. Equal Opportunity Employer: SunTrust supports a diverse workforce and is a Drug Testing and Equal Opportunity Employer. SunTrust does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, marital status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other classification protected by applicable laws.
To review the EEO Poster, copy and paste the following link into your browser: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeocselfprintposter.pdf http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCPEEOSupplementFinalJRFQA_508c.pdf
© 2017 SunTrust Banks, Inc. All rights reserved.
SunTrust is federally registered service marks of SunTrust Banks, Inc.