Dow Chemical Senior Process Automation Engineer in Terneuzen, Netherlands
Senior Process Automation Engineer
At a glance
Position:Senior Process Automation Engineer
Primary locationTerneuzen (NLD), Netherlands
Date Posted:Tue, 14 Sep 2021
Dow has an opening for aSenior Process Automation Engineerat its location inTerneuzen,The Netherlands.
As a process automation engineer you are member of the Migration Project Team, a team who will be responsible for the migration of the legacy control Mod™5 system to ABB 800xA control system for the Light Hydrocarbons production facility at the Terneuzen location. You will work as a technical resource under the direction of the Dow Process Automation Lead to complete the deliverables associated with the ABB 800xA control application code.
In this job you have to work with operations to understand details of how the process currently runs. You will completely reverse engineer and document the details of the current legacy control program into functional specification documents. Furthermore, you have to develop and review simulation code to adequately test the new control logic and train operations. When the system will be migrated during a turnaround you have to provide commissioning and startup coverage to help troubleshoot any issues with the new applications. Be available to answer questions from operations as needed.
As part of this job, this person will develop and implement the appropriate process automation strategies and solutions for the chemical process equipment involved. For opportunity investigations in Dow Light Hydrocarbon facilities, the incumbent will work with Dow Light Hydrocarbons business on the evaluation of data and use of specific methodologies to clarify the potential opportunities.
Primary Responsibilities include:
• Participate in process automation team(s) responsible for implementation of process automation solutions to capture improvement opportunities.
• Meet aggressive project improvement goals, and plan, track and drive the implementation to achieve those goals
• Develop process automation strategies for process technologies
• Programming of automation applications for ABB Industrial IT, 800xA distributed control system
• Writing simulation applications in order to verify functionality of the automation program and for training plant operators
• Participate in project commissioning and startup activities, including tuning of control loops
• Ensures that the process automation is safe, meets DOW LPP’s and other EH&S requirements;
• Identifies technical problems and appropriately engages the business technology center and SME network to resolve;
• Develops knowledge and skills in all aspects of Process Automation;
• Applies Global Project Methodology (GPM) and Process Automation Work Process Discipline;
• Obtains basic knowledge of unit operations and Chemical Engineering fundamentals;
• Ensures discipline design deliverables for their discipline meet the needs of the project: functions as intended, on time and within budget;
• Ensures that the project scope is well defined and meets the business needs in a cost-effective manner;
• Support the documentation efforts for equipment validation and operating procedures;
• Lead troubleshooting efforts, analyze data and help drive key process related decisions;
• Deliver value to Dow businesses through effective use of continuous improvement methodologies, asset utilization and project work processes
• Perform process automation improvement investigation(s) as per Dow’s work process methodology
• Must be willing to work on projects at different geographies / locations
• Demonstrates technical leadership skills: negotiation skills, assertiveness, flexible and adaptable to changing business needs
• Able to work effectively across cultures and time zones
• Deliver the identified value, and meet the agreed upon project milestones
• Some domestic and international travel may be required
• Master of Science Degree in Chemical or Electrical Engineering (or equivalent Process Automation/Chemical Industry experience) is required.
• Broad knowledge and skills in all aspects of Process Control Engineering with a minimum of 5 years experience in a process control role is required.
• Minimum of 3 years of work experience in a chemical manufacturing plant is required.
• In depth knowledge of applying ABB Industrial IT distributed control systems or equivalent.
• Flexibility and self-initiative required to support several simultaneous projects.
• Recognized and excellent interpersonal skills along with teamwork.
• Fluent in English is required, fluent in Dutch or willing to learn.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Dow is committed toequal opportunities in employmentwithout regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. We encourage every employee to bring their whole self to work each day to not only deliver more value, but also have a more fulfilling career.
A robust total rewards program, including: competitive base pay, variable pay that rewards individual, team, and Company performance, and comprehensive benefits
On-going learning opportunities within a diverse, inclusive and rewarding work environment
Career experiences that can span different Dow businesses and functions with opportunities for personal and professional growth
The chance to work within a global company and interact with colleagues from around the world
Opportunities that spark your imagination and ignite your passion to help others
Dow (NYSE: DOW) combines global breadth, asset integration and scale, focused innovation and leading business positions to achieve profitable growth. The Company’s ambition is to become the most innovative, customer centric, inclusive and sustainable materials science company, with a purpose to deliver a sustainable future for the world through our materials science expertise and collaboration with our partners. Dow’s portfolio of plastics, industrial intermediates, coatings and silicones businesses delivers a broad range of differentiated science-based products and solutions for its customers in high-growth market segments, such as packaging, infrastructure, mobility and consumer care. Dow operates 106 manufacturing sites in 31 countries and employs approximately 35,700 people. Dow delivered sales of approximately $39 billion in 2020. References to Dow or the Company mean Dow Inc. and its subsidiaries. For more information, please visitwww.dow.comor follow@DowNewsroom (https://twitter.com/DowNewsroom) on Twitter.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Dow is committed to equal opportunities in employment. We encourage every employee to bring their whole self to work each day to not only deliver more value, but also have a more fulfilling career. Further information regarding Dow's equal opportunities is available onwww.dow.com.