SunTrust Veterans Jobs

Transitioning Military Job Search

Job Information

Interior, US Fish and Wildlife Service Biological Science Technician in Vian, Oklahoma


This position is part of the R2-Sequoyah National Wildlife Refuge. As a Biological Science Technician you will be responsible for assisting the biologist in conducting water-bird surveys, invasive species control, and completing wetland management activities.


This vacancy announcement is open only to displaced Federal employees eligible under the CTAP - (Career Transition Assistance Program) or ICTAP - (Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program). You must include documentation showing your eligibility for CTAP or ICTAP priority placement with your application. For more information on CTAP/ICTAP, see: AND Veterans who are preference eligibles or who have been separated from the armed forces under honorable conditions after 3 or more years of continuous active service may apply. Such individuals need not be current or former Federal employees. Major Duties include: - Collecting, measuring, and recording biological information such as: species, size, weight, sex, age, etc. - Assist with performing biological studies and surveys.

  • Monitor appearance and activities of wildlife and aquatic species for signs of illness, disease, discontent and general physical condition. - Operate and perform limited maintenance on a variety of equipment and structures.


Conditions of Employment


Only experience and education obtained by 10/21/2020 will be considered. You may qualify at the GS-05 level, if you fulfill one of the following qualification requirements One year specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-4 grade level in the Federal service. Experience must have been related to the work of the position being filled. Specialized experience includes: assisting with fish, wildlife, or plant biological surveys; using chemicals to control noxious or invasive plant species; performing grounds and/or equipment maintenance. OR Successfully completed a full 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree with courses related to the occupation or at least 24 semester hours in any combination of courses such as biology, chemistry, statistics, entomology, animal husbandry, botany, physics, agriculture, or mathematics. At least 6 semester hours of courses must be directly related to the position being filled. PLEASE NOTE: If you are using education to qualify, you must submit a copy of your college transcripts. OR A combination of education and experience that is equivalent to a major in a biological science. Only education in excess of the first 60 semester hours of a course of study leading to a bachelor's degree is creditable toward meeting the specialized experience requirements. Two full academic years of study, or 60 semester hours, beyond the second year is equivalent to l year of specialized experience. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.


PROOF OF EDUCATION: All applicants who are using education or a combination of education and experience to qualify must submit copies of official or unofficial transcripts which include grades, credit hours earned, major(s), grade point average or class ranking, institution name, and student name. If any required coursework is not easily recognizable on transcripts, or if you believe a portion of a particular course can be credited toward meeting an educational requirement, you must also provide a memorandum on letterhead from the institution's registrar, dean, or other appropriate official stating the percentage of the course that should be considered to meet the requirement and the equivalent number of units. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable; however, if you are selected for the position, you will be required to produce the original official transcripts. PASS/FAIL COURSES: If more than 10 percent of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) were taken on a pass/fail basis, your claim of superior academic achievement must be based upon class standing or membership in an honor society. GRADUATE EDUCATION: One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study. FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education. For further information, visit:

Additional Information

To register or verify your registration go to the Selective Service System at FWS has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework only during an emergency or natural disaster. More than one position may be filled from this announcement. A PCS move is not authorized. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: DRIVER'S LICENSE: You must possess and maintain a valid State driver's license at all times

during your tenure. If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application: